The Oakland Raiders will be big players in the free agent market this year because of the 65 million dollars in salary cap space they have available. First, they will have the chance to lock up any of their own free agents before tomorrow, when their players can start to meet with other teams.
The NFL allows potential unrestricted free agents to begin to speak and meet with other teams beginning tomorrow, March 8th at noon. That window extends until Tuesday March 11th at 4:00 p.m. eastern time. Although the free agents can meet, they are unable to sign contracts until free agency officially begins March 11th at 4:00. With those facts in mind, today is the last day the Raiders will have exclusive negotiating rights with some of their important free agents like tackle Jared Veldheer, defensive end Lamarr Houston, running back Rashad Jennings, safety Charles Woodson and others.
On the other side of the coin, the Raiders will be in play tomorrow when they are able to meet with other team's potential free agents. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie knows the roster is void of talent and could make an early free agent splash. Oakland will be in the market for a veteran quarterback if they aren't scared away by the weak class. They will also be looking for help along both the offensive and defensive lines as well as in the secondary.
- No Designated Tags for Oakland Raiders, Focus Remains Longer Term Deals for Jared Veldheer and Lamarr Houston
- Oakland Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie not Using Tags Helps Free Agent Negotiations
- Oakland Raiders Should Steer Clear of Free Agent WR Eric Decker
- If Oakland Raiders Look to Upgrade QB Position via Free Agency, Options are Limited
- No Transition or Franchise Tag for Oakland Raiders as Deadline Approaches
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18zr